Saturday, November 29, 2008

Crisp Dilled Beans


Crisp Dilled Beans

This is another heirloom recipe from my Grandma.
These pickles have a very bright, spicy flavor.
I also used my garden vegetables for these too.
Serve them well chilled.

2 lb. fresh green beans
1 t. powdered cayenne pepper
4 cloves fresh garlic
4 large heads of fresh dill
2 c. water
¼ c. salt
2 c. white vinegar

Stem green beans and pack uniformly
into 4 hot sterilized pint mason jars.

To each pint add:
¼ t. cayenne, 1 clove garlic, and I head dill.

Bring water, salt and vinegar to a boil.
Pour over beans.
Seal and process.
DO NOT OVERPROCESS,
You’ll lose that lovely crispness
if you cook these too long.
Make sure that, when you take the hot jars out
Of the water bath, to cover them with a towel,
and keep them out of drafts.
(a quick shot of cold air might cause a jar to crack).

Makes 4 pints.

2 comments:

2SewRetro said...

These were yummy. Thanks for letting me taste them. :-)

S.L.North said...

Glad to my teapartier. These skinny little pickles pack a lot of intense flavors into a normally mild mannered bean.